On a budget? These frugal birthday gifts for kids will give you a ton of easy, fresh ideas for the next birthday party your child attends!
If we’re honest, birthday parties for toddlers are a great excuse for the moms to get together and chat, and except for photos, the kiddo just isn’t going to remember much.
But as children enter the school-age years, invitations start to flood your mailbox (virtual or postal), and because no one wants to be racked with guilt, we over-invite, overspend and overindulge on birthday parties and gifts.
Here are 25 birthday gift ideas for kids, on a $10 budget.
- A bag of microwave popcorn, tucked inside a new tumbler from the dollar store, with a couple of candy or granola bars, and five Redbox movie codes.
- Makeup kit
- Two or three nice hardcover children’s books from Half Price Books and a cuddly throw
- Kids’ apron & chef hat – decorate using fabric paint!
- Gift cards for an experience, like a local ice cream shop, a bounce house or arcade, miniature golf, or a game of bowling.
- Hula hoop or Skipper ankle jumping thingy
- Craft kit from Michaels, JoAnn’s, or Five Below (where you could get two!)
- A Melissa and Doug sticker book
- A hand-made “coupon” book (examples to include: an overnight at your house, a bike ride together, painting each other’s nails, friend’s choice of games to play for one month, etc.)
- Oversized floor puzzles
- Devotions for Teen Girls and for Teen Boys
- Stomp rocket (outside, puh-leeze!)
- Dress-up costume, purchased new after Halloween on clearance or check local consignment/thrift stores
- Trip to a park for geocaching (learn more here or find a location here)
- Over-the-door basketball hoop
- Markers or crayons and new oversized coloring/activity book
- Colored pencils, new erasers and blank sketch pad
- Magazine subscription (check here, sort by price low-high and use code CHAOSISBLISS for 20% off making a few $10.39).
- Personalized, or monogrammed notecards
- Doodle books
- Build-a-bear or American Girl Doll clothes/accessories, or gift card
- Basketball, Nerf football, or soccer ball
- Gardening tool set just for kids!
- Backyard Safari Mini-Lantern, Critter Shack or other camping and outdoor exploring gear from Backyard Safari
What would you add to the list? What are some other out-of-this-world frugal birthday gifts for kids that you’ve heard about?
Before you check out, check these that also might interest you:
This post has been updated and was originally published April 6, 2015.
Copyright: all32 / 123RF Stock Photo