One of our favorite free activities all year long is heading to our local library. You’re probably very familiar with summer reading programs available through your local library, but I didn’t know until my daughter was in grade school that even local and national book stores also offer reading programs, complete with prizes too!
Here’s a list of what I have come up with, including links.
- Carmel Clay Public Library: Starting with infants through grade 5, this year’s theme is “Sit! Stay! Read!”. Registration is now open, and the program ends August 4th.
- Hamilton East Public Library: Registration is now open for the 8-week summer reading program for the libraries serving Fishers and Noblesville. This year’s theme is “Read S’More!” Stop by the Youth Services Department at either the Fishers or Noblesville libraries.
- Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library: The Indianapolis public library kicks off their summer reading program on June 6th.
- Johnson County Public Library: Each branch in Johnson County will celebrate summer with “One World, Many Stories”. Registration began May 23rd and the program runs through July 23rd.
- Barnes & Noble: “Imagination’s Destination” is the theme for this year’s Barnes & Noble summer reading program. Kids can earn a FREE book after reading 8 books during the program. Download a journal and read details here.
- Borders: The “Double Dog Dare” challenge returns for 2011. After your child (age 12 & under) reads 10 books, they’ll earn one free at Borders.
- Half Price Books Summer Reading Program: With the “Feed Your Brain” summer reading program at Half Price Books, children 14 and under can earn Back-to-School bucks to use at any participating Half Price Books store. Print a free reading log and encourage your child to read 15 minutes each day. This Sunday June 5th will be the kick-off, with the “Biggest Storytime of the Summer” at your local HPB store. You can even print reading reward certificates from HPB’s website.
- Mudsock Books: This local bookstore in Fishers is offering an 8-week book club for children in grades 3-5 called “Ralph’s Readers”. There is a small fee of $3 per session or $20 in full, and children receive a 15% discount on book club purchases. Visit their site or Facebook page for more information.
- Book Adventure: This site, through Sylvan Learning, offers another free reading program for children in grades 3-8. Children create their own book lists, take quizzes over the books they have read, and earn points to use toward prizes.
If you learn about other summer reading programs, please email me, and I will update this page. Happy reading!